If you head north during the spring and summer months, you’ll want to prepare your manufactured home for your absence. If you complete the list below, you won’t have to work so hard when you return in the fall.
- Tighten tie-downs until taut.
- Unplug all electrical items, except lights on timers. If you unplug the refrigerator, prop the door open.
- Turn the water off under your home. Do NOT leave water faucets on and do NOT plug your drains.
- Put a clean filter in your air conditioner and set the temperature to 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set out small containers of charcoal or cat litter in every room to absorb moisture and odors.
- Turn off and drain the water heater.
- Check your plumbing system for leaks. Look for wet areas or water stains in your kitchen, bathroom and laundry area.
- Inspect your metal roof. Recoat seams or entire roof, if necessary.
- Weatherstrip and caulk windows and doors.
- Clean leaves and debris out of your gutter system.
It’s also important to prepare your home so would-be burglars don’t figure out it’s unoccupied. Please refer to Foremost’s theft prevention information in our safety section.